Mission Statement
Traffic Alerts
Announcements / Information
About Stowe PD
Department Personnel
Community Programs
Press Releases
Department News
Lost and Found
Animal Control
Contact Us
Resources and Links

Animal Control

Officers of the Stowe Police Department will investigate and handle any dog related complaints.
If you have questions or need assistance please call the Stowe Police at 253-7126
Any other animal complaints, please refer to the listings below for assistance.  

Town of Stowe Municipal Ordinance Chapter 2 regarding Animal Control

Stowe Animal Ordinances in Brief

  • Dogs must be under CONTROL at all times. Dogs must be on a LEASH in the following designated areas: Stowe Recreation Path, any public parking lot, Memorial Park, and Cemetery Road.   Dogs are NOT allowed in public cemeteries.
  • All dogs over the age of 6 months must be currently licensed and be wearing the tag issued by the town clerk.  
  • Owners are responsible for immediate and proper removal of their dog’s feces from any property other than their own. 
  • Animal bites to any person or domestic animal or attempted bites should be reported immediately to the Animal Control Officer or Health Officer.
  • Dogs left out of doors must be under control, have adequate shelter for weather conditions, and have water available to them.
  • It is unlawful to leave an animal unattended in a standing or parked car in a manner that would endanger the health or safety of the animal.  Even on a moderately warm day, in just minutes a car becomes an oven even with the windows cracked open.  Pets can suffer from serious conditions such as heat stroke, brain damage, or even death when left in a hot car.  If you see a dog suffering in a hot car call Animal Control or the police immediately!
  • If you see any strange acting raccoons, skunks, ravens, or other wildlife, contact Fish and Wildlife.

Additional Resources

For dog licenses residents can contact the Stowe Town Clerk at  (802) 253-6133.   More information can be found at the Town Clerk's Website

Vermont Department of Health Rabies Hotline  1 (800) 4 RABIES  or  (800) 422-2437 

Vermont Department of Health Dead Birds 1-800-913-1139

For concerns or questions involving wildlife, poaching complaints, or related issues, contact the area Fish and Wildlife Game Warden, Jason Batchelder, 802-878-7111 or 802-279-4875

Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife 

For help with beavers, skunks, woodchucks, squirrels, turtles, mice, bats, moles, and other nuisance animals, call B&B WILDLIFE CONTROL OPERATORS, Brent Teillon 802-888-4086, cell 793-4950 or Bill Pickens 802-888-3736 which is a 24 hour service and fully licensed.


Area Animal Shelters

North Country Animal League, 3524 Laporte Rd., Morrisville, VT  05661   (802) 888-5065 

Central Vermont Humane Society, Mail: PO Box 687, Montpelier, VT 05601  Visit:  1589 VT Rte. 14S, E. Montpelier, VT 05651 (802) 476-3811 x103